About Riverside Avondale
The Riverside and Avondale neighborhoods are some of the trendiest in Jacksonville. Residents enjoy being able to live, work, and play all within these historic communities.
The Riverside and Avondale neighborhoods represent Jacksonville’s premiere historic districts. Riverside Avondale is often referred to as one contiguous neighborhood, but each area has its unique characteristics. Riverside boomed when many of the city's residents chose to rebuild right after the Great Fire of 1901. The 20th century saw sustained growth, which produced some of the most diverse architectural landscapes in Florida, with one of the largest collection of early 20th century-built bungalow houses in the state. Avondale evolved later, in the 1920s. For its time, it was the most innovative upscale development Jacksonville had ever produced. The tree-lined, quiet streets display hundreds of charming homes, including a wide-ranging collection of classic and modern architectural styles: Mediterranean Revival, Craftsmen, Classical, Prairie School and Art Deco. Riverside Avondale was named one of the Top 10 Neighborhoods in the United States by the American Planning Association in 2010.
Riverside Avondale Amenities
There are three main commercial areas in the neighborhood; Five Points, the Shoppes of Avondale, and Park and King Street District. There are also several smaller commercial areas; including portions of Stockton Street, McDuff Street, Barrs Street, and the Park and Dancy Street intersection. You’ll find the best shopping, award-winning dining, and a variety of entertainment options in these areas.
In 1985, Riverside and Riverside Annex were listed in the National Register of Historic Places; and in 1989 Avondale was added to that list. In 1990, the City of Jacksonville adopted a Historic Preservation Element as a part of the Comprehensive Plan, which defines the City’s role in historic preservation issues and concerns. And in August of 1997, the Historic Preservation Guidelines for the Riverside-Avondale Historic District were published. The local historic districts in Jacksonville are Riverside, Avondale, Springfield, and St. Johns Quarter.
At Jax FL Realty, our top Realtor® agents and professional staff have a passion for the Riverside Avondale historic area. We’re dedicated to finding you the right historic home using outside the box strategies, as well as creatively selling properties in the area. We cater to each customer’s situation using tailor-made options, which work to produce results. Our team understands the intricacies that make up the historic Riverside Avondale neighborhood, and we’ll help you navigate the home buying process. We stay up to date on neighborhood legislation, and make sure you are equipped with the information you need to know.
Learn more about living in the historic Riverside Avondale neighborhoods by checking out our Riverside Avondale blog posts. Ready to buy or sell in Jacksonville’s premiere historic neighborhood? Search for Riverside Avondale homes above or contact us if you’re ready to sell.
Common Terms in the Riverside Avondale Historic District
• COA: Certificate of Appropriateness; needed for any exterior work within the historic district. The COA process goes through the City of Jacksonville’s Historic Preservation Department. This is done entirely online, and more information can be found here.
• Contributing Structure: Any building or site that is integral to the historic district due to the time period it was built or because of representation of a significant architectural type, period, or method.
• Historic Overlay: A layer of local planning regulation that incorporates restrictions of underlying zoning for a given location, with the goal of preserving the historic character of the area.
• RAP: Riverside Avondale Preservation; non-profit neighborhood membership organization that aims to enhance and preserve the historic Riverside Avondale neighborhoods. Learn more about RAP. (RAP is not responsible for processing COAs. This is done through the Historic Preservation Section of the City's Planning and Development Department.)
Events in Riverside Avondale
- Riverside Arts Market - Every Saturday under the Fuller Warren Bridge, 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- Riverside Avondale Preservation's Spring Tour of Homes - Late April
- Memorial Concert and Picnic in the Park - May
- River City Pride Parade - October
- Riverside Wine Fest - November
- Luminaria - Mid-December
Riverside Avondale Homes for Sale
Riverside Avondale Homes for Sale
The data relating to real estate for sale on this web site comes in part from the Internet Data Exchange (IDX) program of the Northeast Florida Multiple Listing Service, Inc. Real estate listings held by brokerage firms other than Bloom Realty are marked with the listing broker's name and detailed information about such listings includes the name of the listing brokers. Information deemed reliable but not guaranteed.
©2021 Northeast Florida Multiple Listing Service, Inc. All rights reserved.
Listing information last updated on June 23rd, 2021 at 4:24pm EDT.